Pages

13 September 2009

Spice-Rubbed Braised Beef

This weekend, I made two purchases that I just can't wait to use. The first is a mini-magazine from Martha Stewart called "Everyday Food", which boasts a couple of interesting low-fuss menus. The other was a Calphalon 5-quart Dutch oven, on super-double clearance for just $70. I was hoping to incorporate both into today's recipe, but unfortunately my grocery store was out of tomatillos, so I had to go with a stand-by recipe. So today, we'll be using-slash-reviewing the Dutch oven with Cooking Light's September 2009 recipe Spice-Rubbed Braised Beef.


Be warned that this recipe takes some time to prepare, but it's mostly unproductive time (read: "waiting around"). First, you have to marinate the rubbed chuck roast for at least 1 hour, at most overnight. Second, the roast requires 2.5 hours to cook. So if you're able to plan well enough ahead, this would make a great Sunday afternoon football-watching meal.

Apart from a Dutch oven (or another thick-walled pot that goes from stovetop to oven), you'll also need a blender or food processor to puree the canned tomatoes.

The meat turned out a little too sweet for my taste. If I make this again, I think I'll halve the brown sugar in the sauce mixture. Six tablespoons seemed like a lot, and it definitely made the sauce a little more sweet than I'd have liked.

I can't conclude this review without saying how fantastic the Calphalon Dutch oven is! It's a little on the heavy side, which makes for some interesting maneuvering out of the oven, but it cooks well and cleans up even better. Money well spent, in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment